The mathematics minor is a wonderful complement to many majors at Cal Poly! The minor is often only a few extra courses for math heavy majors.
Carefully read the Cal Poly catalog for the courses that can be used to complete the minor.
There are many courses to choose from when selecting the upper division classes. However, watch out for two gotchas:
- Upper division courses have prerequisites!
- Upper division courses are only offered once or twice a year!
The planned course offerings should be used when planning for courses.
Which courses are best?
The informal course descriptions can give you an idea of what to expect from our upper division mathematics courses.
You are free to select courses which appeal to you! For those who want suggestions on which courses could pair well with their major, consider these courses:
|Major/Interest||Courses to consider|
|Business||306, 406, 437|
|Chemistry||304, 344, 416, 418, 481|
|Computer Science/Software||335, 336, 341, 437, 481|
|Economics||306, 412, 437|
|Electrical Engineering||304, 306, 344, 408, 409|
|Engineering (AERO, ARCH, BMED, CE, ME)||304, 344, 418, 416|
|Liberal Studies/Teaching||336, 341, 442, 443, 481|
|Majors that use simulations||416, 418, 451, 452, 453|
|Physics||304, 344, 408, 416, 418|
|Political Science||306, 335, 344, 437|
|Statistics||306, 336, 412, 437, 451|
How to apply
After selecting your courses, fill out the Mathematics Minor Application. When filling out the form:
- On the first web page, use your Cal Poly email and enter "Apply for Mathematics Minor" in the "Intending" field.
- After submitting, check your Cal Poly email for a link to the official form.
- Only fill out the top lines of the official form (that are highlighted). Most likely you do not need to worry about substitutions.
After signing the official application, wait for an email from the mathematics minor coordinator.
Any questions about the minor should be sent to the mathematics minor coordinator, Dr. Tony Mendes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Mathematics Minor Advisor
Dr. Anthony Mendes